Paradox and Post-Christianity
Hardy’s Engagements Religious Tradition and The Bible
- Shuji AWANO / 1999.12
- JPY 5,905 / A5 size, hardcover, 304 pages
A new approach to Thomas Hardy’s view on Christianity!
British writer Thomas Hardy is known for “Tess” and “Juvenile Jude”. Not discussed in Hardy’s research so far, in Hardy’s novels there are many metaphors of the Bible. Discussion on Japan’s first “handling of Hardy and Christianity”.
Table of contents
1. Hardy’s Pastoral: Beginning with the Fall
2. The Return of the Native: A Post-Christian Tragedy
3. The Mayor of Casterbridge: Language and Being
4. The Woodlanders: Tree and Life
5. Tess of the d’Urbervilles: A Version of the Fall
6. Jude the Obscure: A Post-Christian Apocalypse
Assistant Professor of Osaka Gakuin University, Japan.
Order this book