Paradox and Post-Christianity
Hardy’s Engagements Religious Tradition and The Bible
- Shuji AWANO / 1999.12
- JPY 5,905 / A5 size, hardcover, 304 pages
A new approach to Thomas Hardy’s view on Christianity!
British writer Thomas Hardy known for “Tess” and “Juvenile Jude”. Hardy ‘s novel focuses on problems that were not discussed in Hardy’s research so far although there are many metaphor of the Bible. Discussion on Japan’s first “handling of Hardy and Christianity”.
1. Hardy’s Pastoral: Beginning with the Fall
2. The Return of the Native: A Post-Christian Tragedy
3. The Mayor of Casterbridge: Language and Being
4. The Woodlanders: Tree and Life
5. Tess of the d’Urbervilles: A Version of the Fall
6. Jude the Obscure: A Post-Christian Apocalypse
Assistant Professor of Osaka Gakuin University, Japan.
Order this book